Few homeowners really think about the risks of mold growth in their home until it is too late. Part of the reason for this is a lack of understanding about the risk factors and signs of mold. If you want to minimize the risk of health issues and structural damage caused by moisture and mold, you need to understand the fundamentals. Here are a few key facts that many homeowners don't realize.
Keeping Your House Clean Won't Stop Mold
You might think that you don't have to worry about mold issues because your home is very clean. The fact is that mold isn't caused by a lack of cleanliness. It's caused by moisture. No matter how clean you keep your home, if there's a moisture source anywhere, you may be at risk for mold growth.
In addition, mold spores tend to settle in dark, damp areas, like closets, hidden corners, and damp drywall. Since they are essentially microscopic, you may not even know they are there until they reproduce to the point that you have a real problem on your hands.
Wet Basements Aren't The Only Moisture Source To Worry About
Many homeowners dismiss concerns about mold issues because they either don't have a basement or their basement has been waterproofed and has no risk of flooding. The fact is that, while wet basements are one of the biggest sources of mold growth, they are definitely not the only causes.
A pipe leak behind the wall, a dripping valve under your sink, a humidifier running in your home, or poorly ventilated showers and cooking appliances can also introduce moisture into your home. All of these things can create the environment mold needs to grow, so don't be fooled into thinking that a wet basement is all you need to worry about.
Just Because You Can't Smell It Doesn't Mean It Isn't There
At some point in your life, you have probably walked into a moldy, damp area and smelled that musty odor that mold can create. While heavy mold growth will cause a musty odor, you won't always smell that when mold is present.
If you think you are in the clear because you don't find that musty odor anywhere in your home, you may still be mistaken. It takes time for mold to develop to the point that it creates that odor, so you may still have mold problems even if you can't smell it.
For help removing mold from your home, contact a mold remediation service.